1) Activate, 2) Swab, 3) Mail, 4) Enjoy—that's it!
How do I use my Embark kit to test my dog’s DNA?
- Once you receive the kit, create your account on https://my.embarkvet.com/signup. Then activate your kit (using the unique code starting with “EM”) to your dog’s profile: How to activate your kit.
- Collect a sample from the inside of your dog’s cheek with the included swab. View this video for detailed instructions: https://embarkvet.com/how-to-swab-your-dog/.
- Mail the swab back to our laboratory in the postage-paid packaging (International customers will need to add additional postage).
- Within typically 2-4 weeks of receiving your dog's swab at our facility, you’ll receive an email to log in to your account to view your dog’s results. During the holiday season, please allow 3-6 weeks due to the high volume of samples we're processing. We'll also send you updates along the way!
How can I track my Embark sample online?
You can track the progress of your sample online by logging into your Embark account.
For the science behind our testing, please visit https://embarkvet.com/about/.
How long does it take for the sample to arrive at your lab?
Check your email—we send a notification when it's checked in
Typically, the U.S. Post Office takes 5-7 business days from the date it was sent back in the mail to return packages to Embark headquarters in Boston, Massachusetts. In rare cases (or from outside the lower 48 US states), the postal service takes up to 14 days due to high volume, weather, or other delays. Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do to control this part of the process; however, once your kit is activated, you may track the progress online.
You will receive an email update when we receive your swab safely back in the mail.
If the USPS has lost your package, or you find it has been longer than 14 days since its tracking last updated, please let us know. We will send a free replacement swab to collect a new sample. If we happen to receive the original sample in the meantime, we will be sure to let you know. We are here to help.
Will the sample expire before it arrives to Embark?
Have no fear about postal delays—once you've closed your DNA collection tube, the liquid inside will stabilize and preserve the saliva sample for 6 months to up to a year in any weather conditions.