Your dog's Age Test results include a confidence model, which is a great visualization of their results.
We use DNA methylation to determine your dog’s age. DNA methylation has been used to develop epigenetic clocks that are based on biomarkers of aging. This clock enables us to predict your dog's calendar age with the following confidence levels:
The model is able to estimate calendar age within ±5 months for 70% of dogs, and within ±10 months for 92% of dogs. For the remaining 8% of dogs, we see most of the variation falling within ± 20 months.
What this means is that there’s a very high statistical chance (92% of dogs) that their age estimate/date of birth is reflective of their true age within plus or minus 10 months.
This is the most accurate way to determine a dog’s true calendar age—short of knowing their actual birthday, of course!